T'is the season of holiday gift shopping and gift receiving! Buying gifts can be really fun for some and stressful for others, especially if you don't know what to get! I am usually that "eco-granola-crunching-all-natural-organic-vegan" on everyone's list, so I put together a list of earth-friendly ideas for any of you who may have similar people on your list or perhaps it's you and you are looking for some ideas! :)
All of these products/brands linked and listed below, I have used and would recommend. This list contains zero-waste products, sustainable, mostly Canadian, eco-friendly alternatives and lots of gift ideas!
I understand buying gifts isn't everyone's forte and isn't the most earth-friendly practice, all that packaging, plastic and bows. Here are some eco-friendly alternatives to package your gifts!
- Use leftover wrapping from last year (if you have some). Always keep the usable wrapping paper people give you and hide it away until you need it! :)
- Use newspaper!
- Buy scarves from a second hand shop
- Cut up old clothing
- Re-use boxes that come in the mail
❄️ Gift ideas:
- DIY gifts (candles, bath products, baked goods, sauces, dips, photo frames, hot chocolate mixes etc.) Head to the thrift store to see if there is anything you can re-use and turn into a fun DIY gift project!
- Metal Safety Razors - built to last a lifetime, no plastic like conventional razors (Terra20)
- Reusable water bottle, reduces plastic (Swell)
- Reusable mug (Kula Project)
- Face Oils - reduces toxin exposure, great moisturizers and cleansers (rose hip, tamanu, castor oil are all oils I'd recommend) (well.ca)
- Spice mixes for someone who loves to cook! (https://silkroadspices.ca/)
- Offset their yearly carbon emissions (www.goclimate.com)
- Handcrafted soy candles (https://www.terradomi.ca/)
- Eco-friendly makeup - reduces toxin exposure (https://www.elatecosmetics.ca/)
- A box of organic fruits and vegetables - who doesn't love food?! (goodfood2u.ca - use code "plantforward" for 20% off)
- Vegan, Fairtrade chocolate (List of Fairtrade chocolate: https://foodispower.org/chocolate-list/)
- Ethical, Canadian, sustainable and environmentally friendly clothing
- Reusable Q-tip, less waste (Last Swab)
- Gift card to a local restaurant for a night out (Pure Kitchen, Green Door, The Table, Chickpeas)
- Gift some local wine, spirit, beer or cider for the alcohol enthusiasts ;) (Can reuse the bottles for something homemade!)
- Make a donation to a charity or sanctuary they value on their behalf
- The Maker House has some amazing local gifts from local artisans
There are so many more ideas and awesome brands out there who are eco-conscious and sustainable! These are just a few ideas from what I know and love!
Happy eco-friendly shopping! :)