As the weather gets colder, I am starting to crave heartier foods. This is a classic comforting dish that will warm you from the inside out! The mixture of walnuts, mushrooms and lentils as the "meat" is delicious. Paired with creamy mashed potatoes, yum! Makes 6-8 servings, and is ready in 1.5 hours.
5 cups washed and quartered potatoes
3 tbsp plant based butter
1/4 cup plant m*lk (I used oat)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup lentils
3/4 cup mushrooms, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup peas
1 cup corn
1/2 cup red wine
3 cups veg stock
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp thyme
1) peel, wash and quarter potatoes, add to a pot with 1 tsp of salt and boil until tender (about 20 mins).
2) Add butter, milk and spices, mash.
1) Preheat oven to 350ºF
2) In a saucepan add 1 tsp of oil and chopped onion and garlic. Sautee on medium heat for 4-5 mins.
3) Add stock, wine, thyme, soy sauce, s+p and lentils. Summer for 25 mins. Stirring every few minutes.
4) Add chopped walnuts, peas, carrots and minced mushrooms half way through. Optional: add a tsp of cornstarch mixed with water into your mixture if you'd like, it will gel together a little more.
5) Cover the bottom of your baking dish (I used a 9x9) with the lentil mixture and top with the potato mixture, spread out. Bake for 25 mins, until top is golden brown.